Sturridge's Prospect

Strong rumors saying that Daniel Sturridge will be heading to Liverpool next month. Sources from various reliable news sites such as BBC Sport & Daily Mail are stating that Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign him from Chelsea for £12m with £60,000 per week contract for the England striker.


So, will he be any good for us? Tough to say, but I'd say yes. I'm not going to lie, I'm not a big fan of his. I watched few Chelsea & England matches where he played. I even managed to catch Great Britain matches last summer Olympics. This guy has a talent. At 23 years old, he'll only get better. There are some aspects of his game that don't impress me. He's a selfish player. I like when players can hold the ball & not afraid to take on players. In case of Sturridge, he does too much. Sometimes he tries to shoot from impossible range. Besides, he's movement & body language are not convincing - seems casual. I'm not sure if he has that fighting & willing to work hard attitude like Sterling has, but I hope he does. 

Another thing that worries me is that he's unhappy that he had to play as a wide player instead of central-striker at Chelsea. It has been said that he asked to have a clause in his Liverpool's contract that says Rodgers must play him as a striker. Not sure if this rumor is true. If it is, that is just ridiculous. I personally prefer him on the wing so that he can work his way into the penalty box or make runs behind opponents' full backs. 

£12m seems a lot for a young player. Then again, we paid £15m for Allen & £35m for Carroll almost 2 years ago. I think it will be a good investment for us. Right now our squad is in transition state. It's important to develop a squad with plenty of talented young talents so that in the next few years we will have a solid squad with great chemistry among the players. As for Sturridge, he will fit well in the squad. He's quick, he can dribble past opponents, & a decent finisher. He needs to improve on his teamwork & try not to be so selfish. The main reason why Rodgers wants to sign him is because he suits our style of play. In fact, he's English and still young. We know how important it is to have homegrown players in our squad (without having to splash big cash) should we qualify for Champions League next few years.

As of now, there is no official statement form Liverpool that we have signed him. However, I'm convinced that he'll join us. He needs to join us, otherwise he'll sit on Chelsea's bench for the rest of the season. If he's not joining us, then it would be a loss for us and complete waste of my time writing this post.

I like everything what Brendan Rodgers has done so far. Sure, we are not in the best position in league table, but we are getting there. I honestly feel that qualify for Europa League next season would be a decent achievement.  Qualify for Champions League would be considered as a success season. By the time I'm writing this, we are in 8th and 5 points behind Arsenal (3rd), West Brom, Everton, & Tottenham. This season will be a tough season for us since those other clubs are doing so well. They manage to find consistency which what we don't have at the moment. Last Saturday saw us winning handsomely 4-0 against Fulham with Downing produced a great performance. I'm worried that we somehow fail to keep that momentum facing Stoke City this Boxing Day fixture. Playing away against Stoke is always a tough match considering they are playing an ugly & dirty football. I hope we can win. I believe that with few good signings this January, we can finish 4th. We'll see what happens.



Leave a Reply